The McConnell Foundation is sponsoring a delegation from Shasta County to participate in the 2017 Summer Study Abroad in Laos (SAIL) program, a five-week cultural immersion study program hosted by the Lao-American College in Vientiane, Lao PDR.
The SAIL program is offered annually by the Center for Lao Studies, a nonprofit organization based in San Francisco. The McConnell Foundation is offering sponsorship for a select number of youth applicants from Shasta County in order to:
- Increase our local community’s awareness of the diverse cultures of peoples from Laos;
- Provide a mechanism for descendants of refugees from Laos to learn their heritage and the stories of their elders;
- And to help preserve the language and culture of the Lao diaspora and minority ethnic groups of Laos.
Selected Fellows will receive full scholarship for the SAIL program tuition and a stipend for travel expenses.
This Fellowship is targeting heritage students – descendants of refugees from Laos – but anyone with passion and commitment to learn Lao language, history, and culture, is encouraged to apply.
Qualifying applicants must:
- Be of or between the ages of 16 – 22
- Be a resident of Shasta County (those living elsewhere but whose parents live in Shasta County are eligible)
- Submit your application before the deadline of February 27th